Wednesday, November 08, 2006

One Nation, Under Gods

Listening to Lee Rodgers and Melanie Morgan fume and sputter this morning was particularly fun. They felt the election was lost because the Republicans veered too far left. Yeah, that was it. Rodgers at one point went off on an extended rant against President Bush for campaigning for Arlen Spector. That, presumably, would be the Arlen Spector who was reelected in 2004. Not really part of the reality based community yet, are these folks?

My one true WTF moment came when they were both aghast at the prospect of newly elected Keith Ellison (D-Min) taking the oath of office for the US House of Representatives (they mis-identified it as the US Senate) with his hand on the Koran. This, they said, was an example of him putting his allegiance to religion before his country. Wow. I don't know where to begin. I can't imagine they're ignorant of the fact that most members of Congress are Christian and take the oath with their hand on a bible. I imagine it must be that they fervently believe that this is a Christian nation, that our identities as Americans is tied to our identities as Christians. I wonder how they feel about all those Jews in the Senate. I think I already have a pretty good idea of how they feel about atheists and agnostics.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com