Friday, May 22, 2009

What They Said

It's been awhile since I've written anything here, particularly anything of any length. I don't wish for my absence to imply that I now believe that with Bush out of the White House all is right with the world. In fact, quite the opposite is true. My worst fears about Obama have actually been surpassed, as he has largely adopted some of Bush's worst practices when it comes to preventive dentention, military commissions, abuse of the "state secrets" doctrine and attempts to squelch, both here and abroad, evidence of his predecessor's torture regime, etc. We got a hint that this might be coming last year during the campaign when he reversed his position on retroactive FISA immunity for the telecoms. A "constitutional scholar" Obama may be, but he's no civil libertarian. I could rant here almost daily about these things, but I don't, partly because even during the flushest of times I've never had more than a dozen readers here and, at least as importantly, because Glenn Greenwald, Digby, and yes, Andrew Sullivan, already have this all pretty well covered. So go there to keep up on the latest on the civil liberties catastrophe that the Obama administration has become. Edit (10/27/16) - People change, your impressions of them change. Some of this post is no longer applicable.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com